Jan 7, 2005

Blogging, emergents, evangelicals, & other thoughts

I have really been enjoying reading through and trying to understand the emergent movement at various blogs. Some of the stops I have made have been to Willzhead and Baldman Blogging. I have been a little passionate in my discussions and disagreements but it is a good process to go through. Along with that I have also discovered some other perspectives that are closer to my own views, such as The Evangelical Outpost and AdrianWarnock's UK Evangelical Blog, and many others, but mainly those 4. What it has caused me to realize is that I really love the Word of God and I hold it as paramount in my life. Not that I doubted that, it has just reafirrmed that to me. Even more I continue to believe the Bible is absolutely True, being perfect, complete and relevant to our lives. I hopefully have not offended anyone in my comments and beliefs, but I have enjoyed the debate, disscussion, etc. Hopefully some new friendships will form from these exchanges. All of you bloggers for God out there in the blogoshpere, thanks for doing your thing, regardless of whether we are on the same page.

The internet, and blogs in general, is an intersting medium. What fascinates me is how much you now see the prescence of blogs affecting the standard news media outlets, and really in a short time. It is almost like a whole new news structure is forming, like a checks and balance system to the traditional news organizations. It was intersting to see that on the West Wing a couple weeks ago where blogging had a big role of the show, and was even mentioned on this weeks episode.

What is even more amazing is to step back and try to wonder what God is doing in these things.....we will only have to wait and see

I will close with a verse from my favorite book of the Bible, Jeremiah:
Jeremiah 33:3
'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'


5 comments:

Jeremiah's House said...

Hi Bill, I recieved your thoughtful email early but did not have time to respond before leaving work. I don't think you are being a pain. I know the verses from John 1 that refers to Jesus being with God in the beginning and so forth referring to him as the Word...I think those are some amazing verses....I will concede that maybe some Christians refer to the Bible as "The Word" because they have heard it a lot. I changed my post to read God's Bible. I will have to think about what you say on this. I don't know about having a Blind Spot. John is not the only place that the letters that make things we read are referred to the as word. Psalm 119 also refers to his statutes as the word (vs 9 & 11). I will continue to dialogue and converse on this and pray that Jesus shows me if I need to turn around and look around more clearly to check for blind spots as I change lanes :-)

Thanks for commenting on my post...I will respond this weekend to the email you sent me today. Maybe we have more common ground than I realized at first reading....

Jeremiah's House said...

Hi Seeker, I will check out that article when I have a chance...Thanks for dropping by my blog. Keep Seeking Him.

pgepps said...

In the sense of John 1, Logos, the Word, is the communicable reason for things. John uses that to describe Christ because it engages and transforms both a Hebrew concept (Genesis 1, creation by God's utterance) and a Greek philosophical concept (the "real" rational nature of things, as compared to the "transient" appearances of things).

John gives us God speaking Himself into the Creation, and His entering Creation as the ultimate act of that speech; at the same time he gives us the "real" rational nature of things, the reason-for-being of the Creation, but that reason-for-being is enfleshed, not *merely* rational but also concrete, in the Creation, having taken on the substance of that Creation.

The Word by which God created is the God who creates, and what God speaks into physical existence to most fully reveal Himself, the reason-for-being of all Creation, is neither a vocable, nor an inscription, nor a concept, but the Person, the Incarnate Christ.

And the Spirit that was in Christ moved men, before and since the Incarnation, to write the things which would testify of Christ and lead men to Christ; and these things, because they are the words about Christ, written by men under the authority, the Authorship, of the Spirit of Christ, are also justly called the Word of God, insofar as we admit that they testify of Christ.

Bibliolatry is *possible*, but calling the written Word the Word of God does no injustice to the Incarnate Word of God; it simply tells us where to look, if we seek to meet Him.

Cheers,
PGE

Jeremiah's House said...

PGE, that is my sense of the use of the phrase, Word of God. Although I am not as well versed in what you are talking about, I appreciate this information. I think I am going to change back to my original post using the Word of God.

Phil Steiger said...

Thanks for the kind words on my blog! I agree that the emergent church is a development to be watched and engaged. I worry about some it its tendencies, but hopefully it will come to be a productive and orthodox incarnation of evangelicalism.

Great blog, by the way.