Sep 10, 2004

Busy...Blog blog blah...Need to slow down

I have been surfing through A LOT of blogs lately and see that there are a ton of great blogs out there to read: Christian, Writing, Politics, and on and on. I started this blog to help me through the process, the journey, the expedition of moving toward healing my brokenness. I find myself reading and clicking, reading and clicking, reading and clicking, blogrolling, etc. I find myself somewhat overwhelmed with all that is out there and as my wife and I like to joke about, I am not good at Moderation. I was just saying that I have mellowed out in doing things in excess in recent years and my wife just laughed. I have ADD and that explains a lot of things. There are a lot of great things about having ADD: passion, creativity, the ability at times to focus like a laser. There is also the negative sides: not being able to shift gears very well, forgetfulness, sometimes being too frank. But God created me as I am and I like who I am. I can do things to help myself such as making reminders on my Pocket PC, email reminders from Yahoo, etc. But there is also the part of accepting myself as I am and giving myself some grace.

I have been reading a couple books by John Eldredge, Journey of Desire, and The Sacred Romance: Drawing Closer to the Heart of God and I can say that they are both excellent books but I have not taken the time to let what I have been learning soak in. Instead it is work, blog reading, work, blog reading, take kids soccer, eat some dinner, watch tv, go to bed. Repeat.

I find that I fill my time and mind with so much stuff that I don't give myself any time to marinate on what I am learning. I wen to Counseling almost 3 weeks ago and I have not really spent much time at all dwelling on what I need to let soak in. I have not looked at my past, I am just letting myself be carried along on a wave of information overload and busyness. It is very hard to hear Jesus whispering:
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30 I wrote a poem about these verses last week but I need to read it again:

Green Pastures

In green grassy fields you call to me,
“Slow down, and sit with me.”

Most times I don’t hear,

I keep going like a train stuck in its track,

Life’s noise blocks out your whispering.


My heart aches for your gracious, compassion touch,

Slow down, slow down.

The wheels of life keep rolling,

The clatter of the tracks block

Your quiet voice.


Freedom whispers,

Slavery yells out in subtleties,

“Hurry up and get busy.”

While the way of freedom quietly calls,

“Slow down and sit with me.”

“I will refresh the wear
and satisfy the faint.”
“Come to me all you who are weary,
and I will give you rest.”

September 1, 2004
Jeremiah 31:25
“I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint."
Matthew 11:28
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

I hope I can put these words into practice....I need to slow down

2 comments:

bobbie said...

hi jimmmaaa!

thank you so much for your comment on my blog - that verse was a wonderful surprise awaiting me as i awoke this morning. very comforting!

i know what you mean about moderation - i am horrible at it too. i will be blogrolling you today, thanks again!

Jeremiah's House said...

You are welcome Bobbie....God uses the body to build the body...God Bless you.