Apr 15, 2005

Still Broken......

I have been going back and forth between depression and being OK....I have been in a funk for over a month or so. My work has suffered and part of me is not sure if maybe my work is part of the cause. But I don't want to be depressed.....I want to shake free. I want to have a "peace that surpasses understanding." I want to have a joy bubbling out of me...I want my attitude to be better but it has been difficult.

Life has not been fun; it has been drudgery at times. I want it to be a daring adventure! But yet I still find myself broken. I want to get away from my brokenness, yet it dogs me and hounds me. Yet in my weakness, in my frailty I can find the strength of Jesus. In the upside down Kingdom I can find strength in the midst of my weakness; I can find joy in the midst of pain; I can find healing in the midst of "sickness"". As I write of I think of the words of Jesus in Matthew 9:11-13:
On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

If I had it all together and everything was going peachy-keen where is my need for Jesus? I don't have to feel OK; I don't have to be funk-less. I just need to know that Jesus came for people just like me: the broken, the sick, the unrighteous, those who don't have it all together, those in a fog or a funk.

I will end with some verses that I really love.
Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV) "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

I also like the same passage in The Message version:
Matthew 11:28-30
"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me--watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

No comments: