Apr 21, 2005

Writing My Way Out of Depression...

I am coming out of the depressive state I have been and as I have said, writing is helping me. My poems are like little snapshots of where I am it helps me to clarify what I think and what is going on inside me. As Flannery O'Connor said, "How do I know what I think until I see what I say."

Taking It Back

What are you working for?
Adventure and passion
Will never go out of style.
But the quiet existence
Of monotony drives
You toward insanity.

Sip the water.
Quenched and quenching
Sometimes it’s wrenching
To have the ache of
Passion stifled,
And stuffed down.
It wants to come up
And burst forth.
But it tastes like bile, its burning
When quietly yearning
Waiting to live the life you
Were made to live.

Zest and gusto
Is what I long for.
Drink in life,
Savor every moment.
Staggering drunk from
Taking it all in.
Reckless abandon,
A passionate rage to live,
I cast out on the quest
To take back my life.

Fight it and drive it
Into the corner,
Battle the mediocrity
That slowly eats away
At the plans you once made.
Get up everyday and fight
Your complacency with
A sense of urgency,
Subdue it, pursue it.
Wake up from the spell
You’ve been under.

Seize your life,
Pick it up off the floor.
Run to the fields of freedom and truth.
Live life abundantly.

Written April 19, 2005

I know that God is helping me and I am not just pulling myself up by my boot straps, forcing myself out of depression. His Word is working in me and changing me in ways that I could never change on my own. The Bible is "Living and Active" and is in my heart and mind and working like a soothing balm or medicine, cheering my heart and lifting the fog from me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know that God is there, always there, watching over me, guiding me through it all. He knows my heart. He certainly does! God, as you are my witness, I open my heart and mind to you. I read your Book. I study it in silence and with friends. You are, indeed, all around me.