Apr 16, 2010

NaPoWriMo #15: Flying Past Saturn


Flying Past Saturn
The planet Saturn had me in
awe when I was in 6th grade.
I clipped newspaper articles
from the Providence Journal
when I lived with my grandparents,
and still went by Jamie, instead do James.
I couldn’t get enough,
day after day, in the paper,
in National Geographic Magazine,
that my Nana shared with me.
Wondrous pictures taken by Voyager I
Big dreams, vast dreams I had.
My big Christmas presents that year,
the Micronauts, little translucent spacemen
that went through tubes;
I played with them for hours.
When did I stop dreaming about space?
When did I stop clipping articles?
Maybe the mess of nuclear family explosions,
blew up my love of outer space,
Saturn then Jupiter
Kaboom!
Kaboom
The wonder went
up in a mushroom cloud.
Those dreams floated
out into to space,
on the back of the Voyager.

A bit of wonder,
pieces of dreams
crept back upon me,
when my two boys,
asked for a telescope,
after watching Nova:
Hunting the Edge of Space.
Magnificent pictures captured
all of our imaginations.

 

“Jamie” may catch a spaceship
flying to his dreams again


April 15, 2010

7 comments:

Stiletto said...

Impressive! Very visual!

Andy Sewina said...

I like the way this comes back round, and how the dream is perhaps rekindled. Also you have given this piece a wonderful title!

Nicely done!

evelyn.n.alfred said...

One of my students is doing a term paper on Saturn. I wonder if she shares the same awe.

flaubert said...

Very visual poem. Good job!
Pamela

jimmmaaa said...

Thanks for the comments on my poem, Stiletto, Andy, Evelyn and Flaubert

Birthday Return Gifts For Kids said...

Birthday Return Gifts for Kids
Birthday Return Gifts for Kids delhi
Personalised Gifts For Kids
Send Birthday Gifts to India
Send to india Rakhi gifts
Personalized Return birthday gifts for kids

عبده العمراوى said...

شركة الصفرات للتنظيف بالرياض