Apr 2, 2008

NaPoWriMo # 2

Aunt Ada

Aunt Ada came to live us
when she was 70, not able
to live on her own anymore.
I remember the long drive to Clear Lake
to bring the small, thin woman
back to our home.
Her house was dark and had a musty smell to it,
with lots of nick knacks
collected through the years.

Early on we found out she had cancer,
after a lifetime of smoking.
At Christmastime I went to Macy’s
to find a gift for her with
a friend from school. We asked
the salesperson for a teacup,
but it had to be “very light,
since she's not in good health.”
What a funny sight,
two young guys
in the China section.

Aunt Ada was a feisty old woman,
defiant to the end.
She sneaked the harsh Chinese cigarettes
my step dad brought from China,
that were too strong for him.
We found the empty boxes in her dresser
when sorting through her things,
after she passed away.

My mom passed on her dresser
to me, when I married 15 years ago.
It still sits in my room today.

April 2, 2008

The Diving Board for this poem was the prompt on Aunts over at ReadWritePoem.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Ada was wonderful!

Jessica said...

Nicely done -- I like the teacup image.

Linda Jacobs said...

Yes, she was like that teacup, wasn't she? That image strikes the perfect note!

Anonymous said...

A lovely poem for Aunt Ada... I'm sure this poem is just as special to her as that teacup from so long ago...
:)

Jeremiah's House said...

Thanks Gautami, Jessica, Linda and Regina for the comments on my poem. See you around ReadWritePoem

paisley said...

what a lovely tribute to a very strong indomitable woman... bravo aunt ada!!!!

Deb said...

I liked the image of two fellas shopping for a delicate china cup & saucer, too.

gkgirl said...

i liked this...
i liked the detail of the dresser
and the teacup...
and the chinese cigarettes...
i was drawn in the whole time.

Anonymous said...

Lots of nice details about Aunt Ada. She sounds like someone I'd want to chat with.