Apr 4, 2008

NaPoWriMo # 4: Purple Flowers

Purple Flowers

I remember

The purple flowers in the vase,
my eleven-year-old daughter gave to me
for Christmas when she was three.
Bought at the dollar store,
the love in them is priceless.

I remember

Her standing on the toy box
at less than 2 with zest and zeal,
declaring herself, “Captain S., the Story Teller!”
I see her clapping in a silly motion,
getting us both to join in.

Now I see

The days of soccer t-shirts everyday
have moved onto the shelf,
making room for more
fashionable clothes from Limited Too.

She’s growing now, a tween,
Hannah Montana and other
Disney shows are the soundtrack
that plays in our house now. Her Netflix
queue always has something new
to send out. Soon she's off to Jr. High
and high school not long after that.
Later I will look back to
Her Hannah Montana days,
with fondness, when she’s left her behind,
for someone new.

I will remember

One day my little girl
Leaving home for college,
then walking her down the aisle,
and giving her away.

Right now

I just want to remember
the purple flowers that say
“I love you Daddy”

April 4, 2008

3 comments:

poefusion said...

Beautiful~ How quickly our children can grow up. My daughter is in high school now and I wonder where the time has gone. I understand looking back at times when they were younger as I still remember how we used to sing children's songs together.

Jan said...

This is very nice. I too have a daughter who went through everything you mentioned and is now in college; my son will be in middle school next year and all his friends watch hanna montana...someday we will be looking back on these years as the good old days. i try to enjoy my moments with my kids and not allow time to slip by too quickly. oh, if only they could be packaged and preserved!

Jeremiah's House said...

Thanks for the comments Jan....yes this time does seem to be going by quickly