Apr 21, 2009

NaPoWriMo # 21

Dental Garage

I don’t like going to the dentist.
I was going to turn over a new leaf with the dentist.
I think that tree is broken.

Don’t get me wrong,
Dentists are nice people.
I have a friend who’s a dentist.
But they’re always poking around,
it’s uncomfortable:
fillings,
drillings,
crowns,
root canals,
poke and prod.
The hygienist needs to scrape your teeth,
open your mouth wide for an hour,
while she pokes around
and asks you your life story,
with water squirting,
hoses sucking,
sticks poking,
scrapers scraping,
sonic-noise-maker emitting it’s high pitch noise.

With your insurance,
that will only be $450 for that crown.
It’s like taking myself into the garage,
the mechanic looks under the hood,
pulling on belts and hoses,
we’ll get back you at the end of the day
with your estimate.
Jeez Louise!!
“The reason it is so much Mr. Estes,
you’ve blown out the universal joint and the transmission
by your back molars needs rebuilding.
We’ll have to check for parts,
but we’ll have to have you back into the shop
next Tuesday morning for 3 hours.”

They put me on the rack,
Lower me down,
shine their bright light under the hood,
“Hold on while we put in this foot long needle,
you’re going to feel a little pinch.”
Yeah, it was a little “pinch”
Uh, I need a little more,
I can feel the drill still.

I feel much better now.
I should make that appointment,
for the crown work,
that I cancelled in December,
and continue turning over
my new dental leaf.

April 21, 2009

4 comments:

Wayne Pitchko said...

ouch....after tooooooooo much dental work from my hockey playing days..i HATE going to dentist...but there is nothing to hate about this poem...its very good..with no ouch

Liz at Yips and Howls said...

I can identify with this. I've been putting off my visit to the dentist for way to long for all the reasons you so skillfully list. Just reading about it hurts. I like the metaphor of car repairs too.s

SweetTalkingGuy.. said...

Cool banana's! all of a sudden my wisdom teeth are playing up!

Love the mixed mets, Dental Garage, great thinking!!

Anonymous said...

You forgot one thing LOL. The HIDEOUS sound of the tooth breaking away from the jawbone. OOOO!!!! That is the sound I can't stand!

http://lori102870.blogspot.com/