Apr 24, 2009

Pushing Beyond the Albatross (NaPoWriMo # 23)

Pushing Beyond the Albatross

Day twenty-three hopefully
Won’t be the death of me.
Cobbling together many lines,
Sometimes leads to new designs.
Its hard to write night after night,
Without coming across as trite.
The pressures of my day,
Sometimes get in the way,
Pushing me to write so late,
Can become a heavy weight,
Not enough time to germinate.
The best poems need space,
For the mind to embrace.
When writing is an albatross,
Often it feels like a loss.
Writing should be a joy,
And never should annoy.

If I write more earlier in the day,
Then it would be less prone to cliché.
The ideas need time to marinate,
And not just some due date.
But I have a day job,
I ain’t no slob.
I said I would write thirty,
And I know some aren’t purty.
I will make my goal,
And in my lumps of coal,
A diamond may be found,
Without making much sound.
Ideas molded just right,
I will continue to write,
When the 30 days are done,
They will be seen as a dry run.
Because I am very content
That this is time well spent.

April 23, 2009

6 comments:

sarah said...

This is the hard part, where it all seems uphill. But you're doing so well, keep going! (Unless of course it is hurting, cramping your imagination, causing damage.) I for one will still be reading into May.

Crafty Green Poet said...

very entertaining...

gautami tripathy said...

You are doing great! Keep it up!

moon eats sugar puffs

Liz at Yips and Howls said...

You capture this last stretch so well. The rhyming scheme suits the subject matter too. Nice job.

Wayne Pitchko said...

keep it up for sure.....i like this one

Pam said...

Isn't it interesting that the image of the albatross is so heavy. I saw one in flight a few years ago and they are amazing.