Apr 17, 2009

NaPoWriMo # 16

Einstein Is In My Kitchen

My age has been on my mind.
I’m not old, yet not young anymore.
I’m on my 42nd trip around the sun.
How many more trips around will I take?

This life is finite.
I put the trashcans out every Tuesday night.
It seems like I’m putting them out every other day.
Is some form of Einstein’s time relativity at work?
Is the planet moving more quickly for me?
I’ve blinked a few times and ¼ of the year is over.

My daughter is in Jr. High.
In two weeks she will be graduating high school,
and in another couple college will be over.
Then 3 days later I ‘ll be walking her down the aisle.

Einstein, are you messing around with my Space-Time Continuum?
Let go into the kitchen and have a cup of coffee.

April 16, 2009

8 comments:

sarah said...

I love this so much, probably because I can relate to it, lol!

Anonymous said...

Time speeds up more the older you get. '42nd trip round the sun' - I like the way you put it.

Bsquared86 said...

Time has a way of passing without warning, lol. I enjoyed this. Thank you for sharing!

rob kistner said...

I was quite taken by this post.

I love the images this conjures -- well done…

I invite you to come discover what’s Gone.

Linda Jacobs said...

I like all the simple, ordinary things you talk about in this poem! they make it fresh and unique. Very enjoyable!

Anonymous said...

I'm at the same stage in my life LOL. This is the first year my children have been out of school. I so longed for this time when they were little. Now that they are grown I wish they were BACK in school LOL.

http://lori102870.blogspot.com/2009/04/in-your-absencenapowrimo-17-part-2by-me.html

Anonymous said...

oh, honey...you're a babe in the woods!

I like your poem. ;)

susan said...

Yes, time definitely speeds up. And you have to be older to fully appreciate the consequences of it.