Apr 22, 2009

NaPoWriMo # 22

Form Over Function or Functionless Form

Vertically
Drop
Making
Times
Seem
Strange
And
Ominous. 
The form
Shapes the meaning.
We expect certain things
By what come next or how
Punctuation is used,
Or not used when a line ends
Or when a thought is linked to that last line.
What
Comes
Next
Is up to the creator.
Reader,
What do you want.
In the meaning?
(Like a novel has
A beginning
A middle
An end)
What will make a poem
Complete
For the reader, reading?
Challenges arise.
Expectations shape,
What we think
Will come
Blasted lucky one,
The reader,
Brings the past,
Her present,
His hopes, his dreams, her fears,
Inadequacy
Incompetence
Incompleteness.
Long linear lines are what some want in their poems, very prose like in the making , phrases that keep it going, keep the thought coming through,
Staccato
Short lines
Make others
Happy.

What makes the writer happy?
I’m not quite sure-
Yet, yet I continue on, not knowing where this will take
Us.
What
will
keep
the reader
reading?
And the writer

Writing?

April 22, 2009

8 comments:

sarah said...

I'll always keep reading, whatever you do. I give my reading over to you. Take it and punctuate it, rhyme it, whatever. I bring my trust to you.

Bsquared86 said...

*applause*

I love this!

Thank you for sharing this!

Wayne Pitchko said...

easy to read..easy to understand and very easy to like.....nicely done

Liz at Yips and Howls said...

I've been thinking a lot about the same issues. I like how you play with them in the form and content of your poem. I was drawn to strict form today as both a metaphor and counterpoint to unusual content.

Anonymous said...

Don't get me started...a dangerous invitation. I like a poem to look like a poem and I'm one of those who don't like it to look like prose. Your is wonderfully clear.

Danielle Filas said...

I think I'll show this to my students
who are only now
beginning
to appreciate
the beauty
of the
li
ne
bre
ak

well done!

Anonymous said...

I love this! I can't rhyme worth a dang! I'm a prose writing if anything. But I think I can still make my poetry look like poetry.

Here's the thing. When I was in high school I was taught poetry didn't HAVE to rhyme. What you wanted in it was feeling. If it rhymed, that was great and well done. But if it didn't I wasn't counted off for it. I don't know if that's the so-called "right" way now though LOL.

http://lori102870.blogspot.com/

Jeremiah's House said...

Thanks all for the comments on my poem. I'm glad you liked it.