Apr 7, 2009

NaPoWriMo # 6

My Names

Jamie was my boyhood name.
In 6th grade I became James.
Being a good, masculine boy, I couldn’t
Take being called Jamie Summers, the Bionic woman..
A move to a new school, and new state and
I had a new name.

It was more.
Silly as it seems,
that was my Bar Mitzvah
It was my attempt to become a man.
I didn’t live with my father, so there were
no rites of passage,
no coming of age.
My new name was an attempt at growing up,
But it was only a name change.

James is a name that is serious
not overly common,
but I think it fits me,
Even if I miss Jamie, sometimes.

April 6, 2009

7 comments:

DivinePoetess said...

I really enjoyed this poem!

SweetTalkingGuy.. said...

Nicely James, I've got a mate called Jammo!!

Anonymous said...

James is a nice name...

but it is kinda cool to be Jamie Summers.

I like your poem! ;)

Rob Kistner said...

Jammin' James Jimmy-cat - it's fascinating how we react to our names when we're young and seemingly powerless to change our given 'handle'...

Come meet Ziggy

Pam said...

Very enjoyable! My son went from Michael to Mike in 3rd grade-- it was a difficult adjustment for the whole family. (I still call him Michael 60% of the time.)

Christine Gail said...

Really enjoyed this poem. I can relate. I was always Christy as a child and when I left elemetary school behind I left the name there too, was Chris during my jr high and high school days then switched to Christine during early adulthood. At this stage in life I am comfortable enough to be all three.

Jeremiah's House said...

Thanks all for the comments on my poem. I had a good time writing it.